Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Happy Mothers Day

 
Hello Blogger friends! Thanks for taking the time to visit the Charmed Life Blog. Today was Grandparents Day at Ethan's (youngest grandson) school. It was an all day event that started with breakfast and then we went to class with him.
 
Our first class was physics where they were discussing centripetal motion. Say What (lol)!!!  I was so impressed with the teacher plus how the students interact. It is not a lecture class in fact none of their classes are lectures.
 
The goal of his school, Shadyside Academy, is to  prepare students to become independent thinkers and learned, compassionate and productive citizens of the world. As well as preparing them for college.
 
It was a great day for me and a learning experience. So glad I was able to go and be a part of the event.
 
Now onto my card for today. This one I made for my DT post on the Scrapping Cottage Blog.  I have been asked how I start my cards or where I get the ideas for my layout. It's always a bit different for me. Sometimes I have the card layout in mind and I just start creating. And, then sometimes I have a particular theme in mind.

Today, my card started with my layout. There are many places on the web that provide card sketches. I used a sketch from Splitcoaststampers. So let's get started with the card details.
 


Card Base:  8 1/2" x 5 1/2" and scored at 4 1/4" to make an A2 card (4 1/4" x 5 1/2")
Into The Woods Designer Paper (Stampin'-Up)  4 1/8" x 5 3/8"
Large Rectangle Layer:  5" x 2" and white layer is 4 7/8" x 1 7/8"
Small Rectangle Layer:  3 3/4" x 2 1/4" and white layer is 3 5/8" x 2 1/8"
Green Background Panels: 1" x 4 1/8" and embossed with a flower pattern from Cuttlebug.
 
After I decided on this sketch, I chose my designer paper and that helped me decide on my card colors. The paper colors are rich razzleberry and olive green so I stayed with that palette for my die cut flowers and leaves.

The flowers and leaves are part of the new release for April. The flowers are the "doodle flower set 1". They come with a background die and also the doodle flower die. Aren't they just the cutest little things?

I cut the background in rich razzleberry and decided to use some patterned paper to create a bit of contrast. I used dimensional adhesive and attached them to my card. To attach the doodle part of the flower I used multi-matte medium. It's a strong adhesive like glossy accents but it dries clear.
 
The leaves are also a new set of dies and come with a background and pattern die. They are the new leaves & stems dies.  I cut them in olive green and then a celery green shade. If you look close, you will see that on one set of the leaves I used light and then dark for the top layer. I just switched it around on the other set of leaves for interest.

I used the Mushrooms & Flowers die for the 2 small flowers on the card. I cut those in rich razzleberry and used the same patterned paper for the flower centers.
 
Since I used flowers, I decided to make it a Mother's Day card. We will be celebrating on Sunday, May 8 less than a month away now.  I stamped my sentiment, added a couple of enamel dots in rich razzleberry and a flag to complete my card.
 
 
There is a challenge for CottageCutz fans to display the cards you have made with CottageCutz dies. There are prizes to be won as well. Click here for all the details and the linky to submit your entry.
 
Well, that's it for me for today. So until next time.......God bless.
 
I am also entering:
1.  Crafty Gals Corner is die cuts/punches.
2.  Fresh Brewed Designs has a flowers challenge
3.  Tuesday Throwdown wants us to use our die cuts

8 comments:

  1. This is just so beautiful. Love the green aubergine colours.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty! I love the color combination and that sketch you used for the design. SCS is always a great place to find sketches and I use them all the time too. LOVE your gorgeous card!
    Glad you had such a fun Grandparents Day. They're the best.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I do love this one, it is really BEAUTIFUL Mary!! the rich colors and pretty flowers are Wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very pretty card! I really love the colors and how you added the flowers. Thanks for sharing your creation at Tuesday Throwdown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These colors are so great. Very pretty die cuts, too.
    I love the card. Thanks for sharing it with us at Tuesday Throwdown Challenge. Good luck. Debi TT DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what a lovely Mother's Day card, Mary! Thanks so much for playing this week in our "Die Cuts" challenge at Tuesday Throwdown. Good luck in the draw.
    NanaConnie DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this color combo. The background paper is so pretty and the embossing adds a great touch.

    Thank you for joining us at Crafty Gals Corner for our Die Cuts/Punches challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty card. Love the colour combo and the lovely card design.
    Thank you for playing along with us at Crafty Gals Corner.
    Hugs ~ Lena, DT
    Lena’s Creations

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails