Saturday, July 24, 2021

Filmstrip Graduation Card

Hello Blogger Friends. Thanks for taking the time to stop and visit with The Charmed Life Blog. Hope your weekend is going great and you have some fun plans or maybe you're reading this while on vacation. That would even be better!

I had friends over on Friday for a night on my deck. I served up some great appetizers and sangria. It was just the girls for this one. We had a beautiful evening temperature wise and the time spent laughing and talking was so nice. 

Then Saturday we went to a graduation party honoring my nephew. I made him this card I am featuring today using the new CottageCutz Film Strip Slimline die.  So let's get started with some details on how I created it. 

Design Steps:
I cut the filmstrip from black cardstock. My white card base is 8 1/4" x 3 1/4". It's the same size as the filmstrip.
I cut another white panel 3 1/4" x 8 1/4" to stamp my sentiment and grad cap images. I just thought it would be easier this way rather than stamping directly on the card base. I laid the filmstrip down for placement of the stamps. These are wood stamps so I used my Stamp-a-ma-jig for exact placement. 
I am ready to start card assembly. I attached the filmstrip to the white background panel with Ranger multi medium matte. When I use this die again I will definitely use an adhesive sheet. It will be easier that way.
Next, I placed the camera image and smile phrase in the left opening. I used double sided tape and liquid adhesive to attach these images. Notice the graduation cap in the corner. It's not a die. I cut it out and in the next photos I will tell you how I did it.
Grad Cap Steps:
I started with a piece of red cardstock 2" x 1". I penciled a line at 1" and then turned it and penciled another line at 1/2".
Then I started making my cuts. I went from point to point so it would form the top of the graduation cap. The next photo shows the start of my cutting.
I went around and made 3 additional cuts going from point to point to form the shape. I believe it's called a parallelogram. I flipped it over since my pencil marks were still there.
Now to make the piece that fits on the grad's head, I used the 2nd largest stitched die heart and placed just a portion of it on red cardstock.
This is what the cut looks like. I am using the negative part of cut. I just trimmed until I got the size that would work for the cap.
Here is the finished piece.
And then I attached it to the head part. I was happy with how it turned out. Then I started thinking about a tassel but I didn't want to fuss with twine. So I looked through my dies and found a ribbon that I thought would work. It's from the Penguins with Presents die. I cut just the ribbon portion and then used the longest loop of the ribbon. I think it works for the tassel. I punched a 1/8" hole and added a gold brad.
Before I attached the white card base to the image panel, I stamped my inside sentiment. I also added a few stars that are part of this Film Strip die. I thought this sentiment is a perfect companion to the front of my non-traditional graduation card.
To finish off my card I attached the image panel to the card base using double sided adhesive.
Well that's it for me for this post. So until next time .......God Bless. 

Dies I used to create card:

I am also entering:
1.  My Time to Craft has no patterned paper challenge. 
2 Daisy Chain Challenge wants us to a die or stencil. 
3.  Creative Knockouts has a die cuts or punches challenge. 
4Addicted to Stamps and More has a die cut and/or stencil challenge. 
5.  Watercooler Wednesdays Challenge is all about occasions. 



   

4 comments:

  1. What an awesome graduation card Mary. Thanks for the tip to make the morter board. Thanks for joining us at WWC. Tristan DT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card, well done! Thanks for joining us at Daisy Chain Challenges.

    groetjes, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous Mary! I love your work and you have such a talent showcasing die cuts!
    Thank you so much for playing along with us this week over at Creative Knockouts for our Die Cuts/Punches challenge, Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fun card! Great to see you in the ATSM gallery. Hope to see you again soon. Nandini, DT

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails