Saturday, September 16, 2017

Halloween Candy Jar

Hello Blogger Friends! Thanks for taking the time to stop and visit with the Charmed Life Blog on this 3rd Saturday in September.
 
It's a busy day for me today. Our tomatoes all seemed to ripen quickly over the past few days. So I am going to roast them and freeze them for use this winter. In past years, I used the water bath canning method. But this year I am trying something different. Roasted tomatoes are so delicious.
 
I roast them with onions, garlic, olive oil and a good balsamic vinegar for 30 minutes. When they start to caramelize, I take them from oven and use my food processor to puree. Then simply put them in freezer bags and into the freezer. I have both Roma and Heirloom tomatoes. Sometimes I mix them and sometimes I keep them separate. I think the Heirlooms are my favorite but the Roma's come in at a very close second.
 
So anyway, let's move to my card for today. This one I created for my weekly DT post on the CottageCutz Blog. My card today is using some of the new dies that will be released On September 20th: Halloween Candy Jar and Halloween Phrases & More. So let's get started with some details on how I created my card.

Step 1: I already knew the dies I intended to use for my card so I just needed my layout. Splitcoaststampers had one that I thought would work well with my candy jar image. I substituted the candy jar for the oval in the sketch. And for element #4, I used my word phrase and the spider for element #5. I also added an additional layer.
Step 2: Selected my card colors. I found some double sided designer paper in my stash from an old Stampin'-Up Halloween collection. I decided to use the dotted pattern and paired it up with olive green and  cinnamon cardstocks.
Cajun Craze Card Base: 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"
Old Olive Green Layer: 4 1/8" x 5 3/8"
Designer Paper Layer: 3 7/8" x 5 1/4"
Step3:  I cut my candy jar and candy in various cardstock. I just used the colors that were shown on the die packaging. So perfect for candy colors. Oh, and check out the eyeballs in the jar and the jar lid is a bat shape. Oh well it's Halloween!!
Step 4: Assembled all the pieces inside the jar. I decided to add a piece of clear acetate over the die cuts. I thought it would give a more realistic look of a glass candy jar. You can't really tell in this photo but the recipient will get the idea. Although when I photographed my card, I noticed that the photo lamp created a slight glare on the acetate.
Step 5: Time to begin the assembly of my card. Since lots of people have Halloween parties, I decided to make this one an invitation. It would be easy enough to reproduce. The phrase I used is part of the Halloween Phrase & More die. It will be available the middle of next week. So look for it in the online store. I cut it in cajun craze and old olive cardstocks to match the patterned paper.
 
I used dimensional adhesive on the candy jar. I like the look of it not being directly against the patterned paper. The little bit of dimension again makes it more like a real candy jar. At least that is my opinion.
Step 6:  To complete my card I secured the image panel to the cajun craze card base. I cut a couple more spiders and added them to the card. The bottom right one is layer 5 of the sketch and to balance the card off I added one to the upper left of my Halloween word. I also used some Wink of Stella on the spiders to give them a little sparkle.
Well that's it for me for this post. I hope I have given you an idea for a way to use this new candy jar die. Remember, to go to the online store on Wednesday, September 20 for ordering. So until next time........ God bless.
 
Dies I used to create card:
 
 
I am also entering:
1.  Scrap & Craft has an autumnal colors challenge.
2.  Crafty Catz has a Halloween challenge.
3.  Fussy and Fancy has a fall colors challenge.
4.  PolkaDoodles has an anything goes challenge.   




5 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, I just love this cute and fun card...thanks for sharing with us at CraftyCatz this week....x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful fall card Mary. Your roasted tomatoes sound delicious. Thank you for joining us at Fussy and Fancy Friday. Pat K xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun card, love it, Thank you for playing with us in Polkadoodles Craft Challenge Anything goes. https://polkadoodle.blogspot.de/2017/09/wk36-anything-goes-crafting-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Kinda creepy and tasty at the same time, fab Halloween creation. Thank you for jo9ning us at Fussy and `Fancy Friday this time
    Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet card!
    Sweet card!
    Thank you for joining us at Scrap and Craft Inspiration Challenge this month. Hope to see you back here again soon.
    Randi DT

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails